Friday, February 6, 2009

Nothing Frugal About Dogs

For years I was very lucky and was able to just take my dog in for her annual checkup with the vet, get shots, flea medicine and heart worm medicine and I was done for another year. For the last few years my dogs have seemed to get more expensive every year.



Already this year one of my dogs needs surgery (the one in the picture), and that is not cheap. Thankfully we will be able to come up with the money for it by cutting a few items from our budget. It's just setting us back in our plans to pay off our debt and build up our savings. What can you do though? I can't just let her suffer and it isn't so much that I would put her down. So we will manage and move forward. Isn't that all we can ever really do in a crazy situation like this?



It isn't always easy deciding at what point to draw the line on medical treatments for your pet. How do you put a price on a life? In the end, I believe that it is a very personal decision that each family has to make on their own. For us, we based it on what we can afford, the outlook for her after surgery and her general health. The answer isn't always clear or easy. Thankfully in this situation hubby and I agreed that it is worth going ahead on the surgery for her and we worked together to make the plan on how to cover the cost. Now I'm hoping for no more emergency vet visits for at least a year.

0 responses: