Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free Ragu and Heluva Good Cheese

Sorry guys, no music post this week. Instead of staying home and working on my music post I went out and did a little more grocery shopping. I know, I know. We don't need more groceries, but I just have a hard time resisting a good deal. It isn't like we won't use the food. Pasta sauce and cheese are staples in this house.


Since Safeway had such a good deal on Ragu and it was the last night of the sale, I just had to go. Luckily I managed to get the last 3 jars in a flavor I liked. It was a great deal because it was $0.99 a jar and I got a $2.00 catalina for buying 3 jars. That made my net cost $0.32 a jar. For those that still had the $1.00 on 3 coupon you actually earned a penny profit per jar. I did that on Saturday and used up the three coupons I had.

Now that I have oodles of spaghetti sauce, I guess it's a good thing that I have the Food Network magazine pull out "50 Things to Make with a Jar of Pasta Sauce." Look for my post tomorrow on some of those uses. With spaghetti sauce this cheap I can get some VERY frugal meals.

On the way home from Safeway I decided to stop at Weis and get some of the Heluva Good cheese that was on sale. It was 2 for $4.00 and I had two coupons for $1.00 on 2. So I bought four bars for $6.00. Since I paid with a gift card we got for transferring a prescription, it was free. What better to go with the pasta sauce then free cheese? Besides, we love cheese in this house and go through a lot of it.

Finally, I am very proud of myself for resisting the siren call of Starbucks while I was out shopping tonight. Not only did I resist stopping at the Starbucks booth in Safeway, but I also drove past a Starbucks on my way to Weis and didn't stop. Believe me, it was very tempting and I was so thirsty. I just had to keep reminding myself of how expensive they are and how I have perfectly good drinks at home. Plus, my puppies and I will be hitting the Starbucks drive thru tomorrow night. Yes, my crazy dogs love having their weekly outing to Starbucks. Go figure.

0 responses: