Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday - Email



Since my daughter was born last year I feel like I’m always behind on everything that I need to do and the days just don’t seem to have enough hours. I’m working on this by improving my organization. I have always been a bit of an organization addict, but that has been sliding since my daughter arrived. To help motivate me I have decided to join in the Tackle It Tuesday. For this, my first week doing Tackle It Tuesday, I decided to tackle my email inbox.

I get a ton of email in my inbox every day. I have had the same email address for about fifteen years now so I also get a good deal of spam. I’m talking about the spam that gets through the filters. I also subscribe to a lot of email newsletters. All of this has a tendency to pile up in my inbox. I check it during the day and delete the obvious junk, but then there are all the other emails that I want to look at when I have more time and then I never get back to them. As a result I had over 400 emails in my inbox and I was getting warning messages that I was near my space quota. It was definitely time for a good clean out.

After a good hour of sorting, deleting, unsubscribing and so forth, I was able to get my inbox down to just 10 messages. It was such a relief to have all of that old junk cleaned out. Now I need to keep up with it and keep unsubscribing from the newsletters that I no longer read. I don’t want to miss out on any good emails because they get caught up in my email clutter. Now let’s just hope I can keep up with my inbox. Next up will be my work email.

How does your inbox look? Are you keeping up with your emails or getting swamped in a pile of junk mail?

5 responses:

heidi said...

Oh, ugh. I hate my inbox. I use mailwasher and that is a handy dandy way to cut down on the time it takes to go through my inbox. A lot of things never make it pastthat. Then I have to designate one day per week where my project is SOLELY to answer emails. I also quit subscribing to newsletters and I have a junkemail addy that I use when I sign up for free samples, etc.

WTG on your first tackle!

Frugal Finds said...

My email was so out of hand that I had to go through and click the unsubscribe button on a lot of the junk. Worked wonders!!

Susie said...

Great Tackle!!! Welcome to the party:-)

Anonymous said...

I keep three different email addresses. One strictly for work and exchanging email with close friends and family, one strictly for my blog and one strictly for junk stuff from advertisers, etc. I'm constantly checking the friend/family/work email. Once a day I check the blog email and Once a week I automatically dump everything in the advertiser email without even opening any of it. Seem to cut down on the clutter for me....

Heart of Wisdom said...

I hate spam too. I need to do the same thing. Welcome!


Come by and see me!!!!
robin@heartofwisdom.com

I have two blog post this Tuesday.
Photos of our typical morning on my personal blog at http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

and an explanation of Changes at my homeschool blog
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog